Sunday, August 19, 2012

No Time for Creativity

Welcome to my new blog, "No Time for Creativity."  This is my place to put what enspires me, what I like, and what gets me to create when I come home from work too exhausted to do anything but sit.

If you are reading this blog, you might recognize this scenario.  I work from 8:30 to 5 at my job, but it takes me about an hour to get there and a little more to come home.  So the majority of my waking hours are spent doing something about work.  I barely see my husband until the sun sets most of the year.  I don't have kids, but I have two dogs who are more underappreciated than they should be.  My weekends are also filled.  Friday evenings we have game night with friends.  Saturday is grocery day, chore day, cooking for the week day; and Saturday night we often have friends over for movie night.  Sunday is also a chore filled day, and every other week we host our science fiction writing group, which takes up most of the afternoon.  It is a filled life, but a happy one.

But I long to be creative.  To make pretty things, useful things.  To turn something used up into something useful.  To be creative.

The problem is, when I get home, cook dinner, and eat with my husband, I am too tired to do anything.  Sometimes it is physically tired, but mostly it is mentally tired.  I am drained, and all I want to do is vegetate.  I have dozens of projects started, but rarely finish anything, because I know it takes so much prep work to start a creative endeavor that it will take days to see the fruits of any labor.  I don't know about you, but I find it really hard to start a project if I don't have the time to finish it that evening.

My husband, Brant, said I should do something about it.  "Write a blog about what you do, your take on the things you make.  You have a very interesting take on what you do, and there are people out there who need to know it.  And you are wicked smart..."  Or something like that anyway.  So, I picked three of my hobbies that I don't ever feel I have time for, and make time for them.  These three are: baking, scrapbooking, and writing music.  I hope to fill this blog with where I find ideas, how to get started, how to stop in the middle of project and not forget about them, and pretty much anything else I can think of.  I hope you will stay with me through all these ramblings.  And together, maybe, we can keep our creative juices flowing.

1 comment:

  1. Nice start to your blog. I look forward to seeing a lot more.

    ReplyDelete